08 May 2019
The CLP’s budget reply today highlighted the clear choice Territorians will have at the next NT election.
The Labor Government has clear plans to create local jobs, drive generational change, cut crime and to fix the budget in a way that is fair.
The Territory has been through some tough years dealing with:
· The $867m deficit left by the previous CLP Government
· $500m in GST cuts from the Federal Coalition Government
· The wind-down of the INPEX construction phase
Budget 2019 shows that while many challenges remain, the Territory Government’ plans are working, the economy has started to improve and our future is bright.
When last in Government, the CLP slashed and burned the public service, sacked hundreds of teachers and nurses, jacked up power prices 30%, cancelled the Arafura Games and sold or leased TIO, the Port and the buses.
Today in his budget reply, the Opposition Leader confirmed CLP plans for more cuts.
Territorians deserve to know the extent of the cuts including:
· How many teachers, nurses and police will the CLP sack?
· How much will they jack up power prices?
· How much will they cut from remote housing and which crucial health services will they cut?
· We know they will sell Power Water but which other public assets will they sell?
· We know they scrap the Arafura Games again but what other events will be cut?
· We know they will cut public servants’ holidays but what other attacks on staff are planned?
Quotes from Treasurer
“There is a very clear choice for Territorians at the next NT election.
“The Territory Labor Government’s fair plans that we have outlined or the CLP approach of jacking up power prices 30%, scrapping the Arafura Games, selling TIO and slashing and burning.
“We know the CLP will cut hard and hurt the Territory - they did it before and they will do it again.
“Labor has detailed our fair plan to fix the budget, create jobs, and drive generational change – it’s time the CLP told the truth and released their plan for more cuts."
Media Contact - Hannah Farmer - 0428 497 154