16 Mar 2020
Minister for Tourism, Sport and Culture
In response to the Australian Government’s COVID-19 advice against holding events of 500 people or more, the Territory Labor Government has announced changes to its list of events over the coming months.
· Parrtjima – A Festival in Light, scheduled for 3-12 April 2020 in Alice Springs will be rescheduled to September 2020.
· People’s Choice BASSINTHEGRASS at Mindil Beach Darwin, scheduled for 23 May 2020 will be rescheduled to October 2020.
· Specific dates for these two popular events will be confirmed over the coming days.
· Anyone who has purchased a ticket to BASSINTHEGRASS will be eligible to attend the rescheduled event.
· Refund details for anyone who cannot make the new date will be announced once the new dates are locked in.
· The NT Government’s free Laneway Series has been cancelled.
· The 2030 Tourism Conference in Darwin on 25 March 2020 and Alice Springs on 27 March 2020 will continue as planned.
· Bruce Munro: Tropical Light and Million Dollar Fish will continue. They do not fit the criteria of a mass gathering as outlined by the Australian Government.
· Decisions around upcoming events held in partnership with the NT Government will be made in conjunction with the governing bodies of the partners involved. This includes BetEasy Supercars Darwin, AFL and NRL events in the Territory.
Community events that receive NT Government funding will receive further advice and support over the coming days from the NTMEC team.
NTMEC’s next round of community event funding, which was due to be released later this month has been put on hold.
A risk assessment tool has been developed to help event organisers to judge the clinical risk associated with their event and determine whether to proceed.
For further information event organisers can call the Mass Gatherings Hotline on 1800 518 055 during business hours for assistance.
Media Contact: Lisa Sennett 0436 929 858