The Territory Labor Government is putting victims first, with public information sessions for the Victims of Crime Discussion Paper starting today.
The discussion paper aims to improve the Northern Territory’s financial assistance scheme to better support victims of violent crimes in the NT.The discussion paper also looks at reforms to include:
- Introducing victim-offender conferencing for adult offenders in the NT, and;
- Improving restitution and compensation orders made under the Sentencing Act.
Community information sessions will be held around the Territory during February and early March 2019, to help Territorians learn more about the proposed reforms.
- Darwin - Monday 11 February 2019, 5 pm – 6.30pm, Level 9, NT House 22 Mitchell St
- Palmerston - Wednesday 13 February 2019, 5 pm – 6.30pm, Palmerston Town Council Library Community Room
- Alice Springs - Monday 18 February, Noon – 1.30pm, Meeting Room, Alice Springs Desert Park
- Tennant Creek - Wednesday 20 February, 10.30 am-noon, Catholic Care offices 58 Schmidt St
- Nhulunbuy - Friday 22 February, 10.30 am-noon, Room Orange 6C Bachelor Institute, 45 Chesterfield Circuit
- Katherine - Friday 1 March, Noon – 1.30pm, Level 1 Conference Room Government Centre, 5 First Street
The NT Government encourages Territorians to have their say to help shape law reform that will create a safe and resilient community.
Quotes from the Attorney-General and the Minister for Justice, Natasha Fyles:
“The Territory Labor Government is putting victims first with public information sessions on the Victims of Crime Discussion Paper starting today – we recognise the importance of victims’ rights in the justice process.
“We invested $450,000 into youth victim conferencing because it reduces re-offending and victims of crime are more satisfied with the justice process when they are given a voice.
“A Territory Labor Government will always put victims of crime first - this project will ensure victims’ voices are heard and they feel supported.”
Media Contact: Ellie Clancy 0436 646 689